Sunday, November 17, 2013

RUN..JUMP..PUSH..PULL..LIFT..CLIMB...CARRY....just comp prep..no big deal..

Just want to start by giving a HUGE shout out to my amazing nephew Braxton Gunther and the WX Wildcats. What an amazing year you all had. Do not look back with any regrets-look forward to what lies ahead for you all and your program. What a fun season - can't wait for next year. This photo really says it all. I can't even express how amazing it was to watch my nephew AS A SOPHMORE get out there and kill it this year. Auntie Pride right here!!



The past few months for me ( and several other suckas)  have been all about competition prep...well as much as one can prep while working for "the man" 60+ hours per week.

IN MY OPINION...as you see by my title post...we have done it all. If we aren't ready now...well we are. So there won't be any of that nonsense talking about not being ready. I think Tami Horan said it best to me. This is not verbatim but hopefully close- all you can do from this point is eat clean and try and get a good nights sleep...pretty simple eh? We are as ready as we can be. Nothing will be a surprise at this point.

Grandbaby business (this is gonna happen with every post!) How cute is this little munchkin??

 I invited her to dinner last night..she brought her parents...LAME!!! No just kidding. I am so in love with her I can't stand it. Sometimes, I find myself smiling for no apparent reason!! WTFF??? Not really like me but I can't help it. The mere existence of this amazing little human brings me SO MUCH JOY!!


As a Granny it's important to know which stores have great baby girl stuff..UMM TARGET!!! who knew. Found these little treasures yesterday. A darling little sweater dress with an awesome Christmas beanie!! She looks too damn cute in it the beanie! I love it!

Having the kiddos over for dinner was fun! I tried to conjure up my own take on Paleo-ish lasagna. Not everyone in my world likes to eat Paleo and I need to remember that sometimes. So here is my take on Paleo + dairy lasagna (recipe to follow pics)

I subbed butternut squash for lasagna noodles. Just sliced it on my ol hand held mandolin.
 
I peeled the squash cut the top and bottom off - scooped the junk out of the bottom and sliced it that way. I had quite a bit leftover that I didn't need to use that will be GREAT for this week! This is how it looked when I was building it up.
 

And the finished product ready to go in the oven looked like this! Yes don't freak that is cheese on there. Again-not all of my peeps eat Paleo. You have to consider all parties when you invite folks to dinner. Its pretty easy to keep everyone happy and still stay pretty much on track!





Today I remembered how absolutely happy I am in my kitchen. I live alone so when I get a chance to share dinner with others I like to make it a production! I love veggie trays mostly because it keeps me snacking on healthy stuff while I am waiting for dinner to finish. This one I added turkey sausage and some cheese. Yes I know orange cheese. Doesn't mean I have to eat it.




I wanted to try something different with the sauce for the lasagna so I added kalamata olives to the mix. This was a good call on my part. I did use just canned sauce-and of course I got the absolute cleanest Also added some tomato paste to give it that hearty savory tomato taste!




So here it is. My take on Paleo-ish + dairy Butternut Squash lasagna.

1 large Butternut Squash
1.25 Lb ground Turkey (you can use beef and or add Italian sausage as well)
1/2 onion - I used yellow because I had 3 huge ones I needed to use
oregano (dried or fresh)
1 T diced garlic (I buy this in a huge bottle at Costco-fresh is fine too)
basil (dried or fresh)
1 container of lowfat cottage cheese( not sure of the ounces..just the smaller of the 2 tubs)
2 eggs
Large can or jar of spaghetti sauce (I suck at this-not sure of the ounces again I just used hunts in a can its like .94!!)
1 4 oz can tomato paste
10-15 chopped kalamata olives pitted
mozzarella or any white cheese of choice (I bought just an bag of Italian blend already grated)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Peel and gut the butternut. Slice to your liking. Set aside.
In a sauté pan heat 2T olive oil or coconut oil-add onion and garlic-I sauté until the onion starts to brown slightly-add turkey or meat of choice and seasonings of choice and cook through, add spaghetti sauce, kalamata olives and tomato paste and mix well and simmer for a few minutes.

In a bowl mix, cottage cheese with the 2 eggs-basil and oregano. I sometimes add a little water so that I have plenty so I can layer this 2 times. Set aside.

Grease the bottom of a 12x9 pan layer squash on the bottom. Use 1/2 the cottage cheese mixture, half the meat mixture on top of that and sprinkle some cheese, add another layer of squash, cottage cheese mixture, then meat and top with cheese. You really don't need to use more than 1 cup of cheese( and that is being generous) and if you are eating strict Paleo just omit the cottage cheese mixture and cheese. Done and done.
Bake at 375 for approx. 45 minutes to an hour. This was delicious!!! tooting my own horn a bit..I know.

Whew- blog is long today..sorry folks ..only have time to blog once a week-have a lot to get in.

So its here. Fitness Elevated is Friday and Saturday. My menu for this week is simple, simple, simple-Clean, clean, clean. Made a HUGE batch of Kalua chicken. Just a reminder its simple-clean bacon 3-4 slices in the bottom of a crock pot, chicken and Hawaiian sea salt. Cook for 6 hours, shred and let sit.

Also- lots of eggs, lean protein -and you know me-NOT protein powder- extra protein in the way of real food. So I stocked up on eggs, turkey meat, avocados and sweet potatoes and of course a huge container of spinach.
Have you tried cooking your eggs this way yet??? So easy- a dozen in a muffin tin, pop in the oven 350 for 20 minutes. Let cool and done and done!
Don't judge my pans.

Whew. Well I think that's it. The next time I blog FE will be behind me and I will start focusing on preparing for "No Baby leave the stockings on!" So looking forward to this one as well. I think this one is going to be FUN!! FUN!!! FUN!!!

Well-here we are starting yet another week! Look for Paleo friendly Thanksgiving recipes week! Stuffed mushrooms and paleo pumpkin pie!!

In closing. I have to add this- my heart and soul belongs to CrossFit and this video says it all. Its long...but a good watch!!! Have a good week all...eat super clean...train really dirty...and rest when your body tells you it's time!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMapkdLW0ZI&feature=c4-overview&list=UUtcQ6TPwXAYgZ1Mcl3M1vng

No comments:

Post a Comment