Sunday, February 23, 2014

Hello Open...I have been waiting for you...please Castro-give this ol lady one more stab at that 100# Snatch...

IT'S HERE!!! THE OPEN STARTS THIS WEEK!!! FRIDAY WE DO 14.1...and I am crapping my pants. 


I am not ready...or am I? I guess based on my current circumstances..I am as ready as I have ever been. I just like to act like I am not.

One thing I am hoping to see? 100# snatch. If it is presented and I miss again this year..it's just not meant to be...that's all :)

This past week has been one of good and bad challenges and struggles. FIRST OF ALL...I FINALLY RX'D DIANE!!!! I was so stoked...and it's strange- that the week I chose to work on this- out comes an article about how horribly wrong or bad kipping handstand push ups are. And honestly? As much as I agree with that -for the athlete who chooses to use it as a means to go faster- without any caution what so ever to the head returning to the pad in the down position- I can see this as being bad. For me? an athlete that without the kip may never really get a hand stand push ups in succession? I see it as a means to actually be able to do a movement I never dreamt I could do. I added about 4 minutes to my time-but again-did something that 3 years ago-2 years ago-1 year ago- LAST MONTH-I COULD NOT DO!


I am 47 year old folks. Give me my kip and let me be alone with it. I promise to be careful !
Just for fun I went to the CrossFit Journal and researched a little and this is what I found- "The kipping handstand push-up is about using the power of your hip to help your arms" when I read the article posted -some of the comments below were that a kipping hspu should not be considered RX yadda yadda-So yes- it could be bad for the neck for those athletes that are not cognizant and careful when coming down but it also is used to HELP the arms!!! There you go. Done and done. Leave me and my kip alone. I will continue to strive to get a strict hspu but until then I will continue to kip. The glory of Crossfit-scalable-modifiable. 


I kind of feel sad that more peeps from 22 are not doing the Open. I have said in the past...I will say it again. I have a shit load on my plate right now-more than the past 2 years at this time. I know of a few people doing the Open that are as overwhelmed as I am. What I am doing this year as opposed in the years past? I am using the Open as a diversion. I love CrossFit. I love pushing myself ..or trying to push myself..beyond what I ever dreamt might be possible for this ol gal to achieve. And I honestly need this right now to help me remember what is good about my life. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

FOOD THIS WEEK- HELLO CARNIVORE STATUS!

Yup- simple simple menu this week- Turkey basil and artichoke meatballs...LOTS OF THEM http://paleomg.com/turkey-basil-artichoke-meatballs-egg-free-nut-free/
This time I added just about a tablespoon of red pepper flakes to give it some kick- I do 1 # ground turkey and 4 links of turkey hot Italian sauage- YUM

This recipe calls for 1# ground turkey so I actually double the seasonings

I made my tomato own sauce. Just broiled tomatoes with onion, garlic and basil- added a small an of tomato paste and threw in the food processor.
Meatballs anyone??

Also just baked some spaghetti squash. 



Getting to my Greek roots-love Souvlaki
I am going to need a little starch to have my energy up for Fridays. I have been feeling so run down-I pray that the Open snaps me out this god awful FUNK I have been in!

I also cooked some souvlaki- I LOVE this on salad. Here is my recipe

1 pork roast (this is one of 4 that you get in a pack at Costco)
slice and chop into bite size chunks-put in Ziploc
ADD
juice of 3 lemons
AT LEAST 2 tablespoons garlic
Oregano (2 T dried or fresh) 
Scarlet loves her Sophie!!
Greek Seasoning to taste
Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste-be careful not too much salt
Skewer and throw on grill- sorry-I don't have an EXACT recipe! this is how I do things!

I have my kale salad as well as a huge bag of broccoli and cauliflower. 

It wouldn't be a good blog without an updated pic of my sweet granddaughter-I am so glad to be able to spend the time with her during the week with her while her parents are wodding- this week I got to give her Sophie!! She loves her!! I am so happy. This baby girl brings me so much joy!


Well that's it. It's alot and nothing at the same time. So looking forward to the announcement on Thursday as to what WOD 14.1 is going to be. I need this diversion right now. Can not be happening at a better time!

Work hard everyone-eat clean and focus-if you are doing the Open- see you on the flip side of 14.1 SO EXCITED!!! 
In closing...love this!! (muscle ups)


No comments:

Post a Comment