Sunday, April 28, 2013

G-G-G-G-Grill it...all of it..a sudden change in my intentions...

Its a crazy day for blogging for me. I started with a food only blog in mind. Keeping my other stuff for later but then something happened and I read something that changed my path today. So FOOD first then philosophy.

Yes- he is upright-she is upside down- was a long day for her!
FIRST...I want to say congrats to my son and his sweet wife for getting into their first home. I can't speak enough to how proud I am of these two. I never cease to be amazed at how they balance things. It's amazing to watch and honestly it confirms that perhaps even though at times I felt that I wasn't the best example or the best Mom.. that maybe through all the fight and such...I did something so right because my son is the cats meow...
SECONDLY....LOVE ME SOME SUNDAY SPRINTS...OUCH MY SHINS!! Loved the sequence today. Thanks Matty- you NEVER disappoint!
CHURCH!!!


 FOOD STUFF!!! Holy Bountiful Baskets this week!!! It did not disappoint. The thing I have learned with doing co-op produce is that you have to take the good with the bad. GOOD meaning- lots of veggies an fruit you love- bad...sometimes you get potatoes and corn. Thank God I have neighbors they do not find it weird that I give them food. This week I felt the need to add on the herb pack-which holy cow- I text my entire family trying to get rid of some so that I wouldn't waste any. My advise - if you are one person or a small family maybe find someone you can share add ons with. I added on the juicing pack, which I was so happy about- kale, lemons, beets, Italian parsley, carrot-etc etc. But this was way too much stuff. I am going to have to get really creative to not have it go to waste. The fruit is amazing- strawberries, bananas, apples, mini watermelon, and mangoes.
 
 The 1/2 and 1/2 basket was absolutely worth every bit of the 16.00 I paid for it. AND as ALWAYS- I went right to work washing and cutting up and bagging everything, and of course planning my menu in my head. I realized right away that I had a TON of meat in my freezer. This happens probably once a month. I just grab whatever remnants I have and I just try and make a menu from there. This week I feel pretty lucky. I had some ground turkey, some turkey Italian sausage- chicken thighs and some trout that my Pops gave me. That makes for a really good easy menu. I got broccoli, kale, lettuce celery and spinach. What a perfect combo of green to make my life simple this week. So that's it folks. Here is my simple menu for this week- Bacon Wrapped chicken thighs GRILLED, Lemon Dill Trout GRILLED, Jonis Greek Burgers- GRILLED and 2 and 1/2 random Italian sausage-grilled. No real recipes or links folks. These are all just me winging it.
BACON WRAPPED CHICKEN THIGHS- Exactly as it sounds. I through the thighs in a bowl- season with sea salt- cracked pepper- greek seasoning and a little touch of cayenne pepper. Wrap a piece of bacon around it real tight- and GRILL until done.
LEMON DILL TROUT-Exactly as it sounds season both sides with lemon, lemon pepper, a little sea salt and pepper and fresh dill. GRILL until done.
JONIS GREEK BURGERS- I like to think of this as my own but who knows where I got it from- to you turkey burger add- 10 chopped kalamata olives, a little garlic, red pepper flakes, sea salt and pepper, greek seasoning- and for those who indulge in a little dairy from time to time as I do - approx. 2T feta cheese. GRILL until done.
My grill looked amazing- I love grilling season- I put everything I can on the grill including my veggies from time to time. I do the same thing with my cooked meats as I do with my veggies. I bag them up so they are super easy to pack. This week I opted to make guacamole - 3 ripe avocados, just added some chopped fresh jalapeno-rotel tomatoes (about 1/2 can) a little garlic and lime and there you have it a delicious add on for anything, burgers, eggs, top off your chicken. You can never go wrong with this. Also- boiled a dozen eggs and thawed out frozen prosciutto - this is a GREAT before WOD boost- just wrap one slice of prosciutto around an egg and you are good to go. Got that idea from my sis Liz. Then as always- baked some bacon- I am set for the week. Shouldn't have to do much.

 
 
This NOW brings me to what derailed my food only blog for today. I sometimes struggle with feeling like I just don't measure up. That I work so hard yet the progress I make isn't quite what I would like it to be. Today. I saw this posted on FB and as I was reading it. I was like AMEN SISTER...AMEN. This is directly from the Shoreline CrossFit site and I was so moved by it I feel the need to share it in it's entirety.
 
 You’ve gotta love CrossFit.  I’ve been at this game for five years now and I’m still having epiphanies.
In case you didn’t know, I’m slightly competitive…and by slightly I mean I will compete with you in who can do dishes faster, rake leaves faster, get to the front door faster; for Pete’s sake, I once almost decapitated poor Jenna Lennon in a fierce game of Taboo.
To say I understand the nature of competition is an understatement.  I’ve always encouraged my athletes to pick someone in their class and attempt to beat them in the WOD.  In fact, I usually announce the best time of the day for the WOD before it begins.
Lately, I’ve been reshaping my thinking…
You see, when I was introduced to CrossFit, it was a much smaller sport.  For a girl, I was considered strong.  I mean, most Rx’d workouts called for women to push 65 lbs, and in a few cases, 95.  A 155 lb clean and jerk was pretty decent, and you were a MONSTER if you could deadlift over 300 lbs as a female.
Here we are 5 years later.  My lifts still inch up little by little, but I realize that as this sport becomes bigger and bigger, it becomes more and more saturated with elite athletes; athletes that were elite before they even began CrossFit.  To exemplify: DP participated in competition at CrossFit New England a few months back where one of the WODs was a one-rep max clean and jerk, and girls that were jerking 195 were coming in below 10th place in this WOD!
What does this mean?  Does it mean that these little Bambi legs and crooked back throw in the towel and stop competing?  Does it mean that I never again aspire to be like someone who is faster and stronger than me on the whiteboard?
Absolutely not.
However, to achieve true success in a faster period of time, I need to stop focusing on beating the other girl and beat this girl (thumbs pointing at me).
After the conclusion of this year’s Open, John Lynch, Master’s competitor who placed 3rd in the world, made this statement on Facebook regarding WOD 13.5:
I hammered out 154 reps for 13.5 on Thursday. I didn’t need to repeat it as my overall standing wouldn’t change, even if I got 230 reps. I decided to repeat it anyway today to see how much my mind could push through the pain and exhuastion my body was experiencing. The point here was not to move higher on the leaderboard, but to compete with myself. That should be our ultimate goal for the Open. Find that higher threshold of our physical and psychological limits. We all emerge stronger because of it and can apply it to all aspects of our life. Needless to say, I managed 162 reps and then puked for about 10 minutes afterwards. It’s fair to say that today, I reached that threshold“.
Well played, Dr. Lynch…
You see, if ALL we do is compare ourselves to others, we may not experience progress.  In John’s case, it is because he is one of the best in his division and gym, but for many of us, it can be because it is too discouraging and not an accurate target of where we need to be aiming.
For example, sure I would love to full snatch 155 like young Meg Testa.  As compared to her, my snatch is weak.  But I am not Meg.  There are a lot of pieces to her that I do not share (power output, coordination, speed, flexibility, strength, and THOSE LEGS, etc…).  It would be unfair to me to compare my lifts to hers.  They should only be compared to my previous lifts.
We are all so different.  To truly measure progress, we can only measure ourselves with ourselves.  You are your fiercest competitor."

I guess you could say that I had an AH HA moment when I read this. So here is my take on this for me for this week. I am no elite athlete. I am  just me. And honestly, my only competition is me. Each day I need to give just a little more than I did the day before. I won't always have good days where I PR or RX but I will have days where I walk away being completely satisfied with what I gave for THAT day. And then realizing as always...tomorrow is a new day, a new opportunity to try again.
Here's wishing everyone a great week- eat clean- an train dirty. I do have an awesome before and after story I will be sharing later this week- watch for it!!
Closing with this!! LOVE IT

 

CRONI...OUT!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment