Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Hiatus in Vegas...Sadness about Boston..Heroes WOD's...sigh

I don't have too much to post about! It's crazy when I don't cook on Sunday I don't have much to say. I can say this. Vacations throw me completely off my game. I eat like crap, I sleep like crap...why are Vacations so fun?? Because for the first time EVER, I didn't take my laptop and work. THAT WAS FUN!

HIATUS IN VEGAS: We went to Vegas this weekend. It was nutso. This trip we did something much different than we have ever done before. WE WENT TO SHOWS!! You see so many random things in Vegas...Like this....
This needs no caption.....


Des and I! Miss her!
But it all started with a great WOD with my girl Desi- Thanks to Summerlin CrossFit for your hospitality. Such a great group of nice people. A great WOD - 20 min amrap that about knocked me out to get my vacation started the right way.


My view from the NON VIP seats..not too shabby eh?
Saturday night we went to the RIO to see the MJ experience. HOLY CRAP!! First of all the layout was kind of weird but honestly there wasn't really a bad seat in the house. And I thought maybe it would be cheesy but it was very well done..I didn't want it to end..lame I know. I miss MJ. I am so thankful that my sweetie was tolerant enough to sit through it. Shhh...I think he was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it more than he led onto.


Sunday night we went to Mystere' WOW..what a display of athleticism. It was completely entertaining. There were two guys that basically balanced on each other holding handstands amongst other things..constantly moving..for me? I was completely enthralled. 2 years ago..or before CrossFit..maybe not so much I would have been impressed but now even more so. You couldn't really take pictures so this is the best I could do. I think that if you are going to Vegas shows are the way to go. So much fun!

While on my mini vacation- I heard the SAD news of the goings on in Boston. This is what I have to say WHAT IN THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE???? Why are these things happening? Why would someone do this? I was heartbroken for not only the people observing but the runners as well. I don't love to run. Lets be honest. But I have trained and ran a lot of races. And the work and preparation that goes into something like this ...it breaks my heart and I send my thoughts and prayers to all that were impacted.

I was lucky enough to get home yesterday early enough to WOD and get to Oly class. I got 1 rest day on my vaca. Plenty enough for me. I LOVE oly class and because I only get to make it every other week I hate missing it. I snapped this pic last night- Coach Chiu right in the center of the madness..look at all the weights lying around. Love this moment...love this class!

This brings me to my last subject. HEROES WODS. Today we did a 45 minute WOD. This is what I love about a Heroes WOD besides everything that it stands for. You know going into them- they are going to be brutal, grinders, grueling. And for me personally...Its the ONE time I can't complain. I think about my brother Matty- and his service, I think about all of our men and women still serving that often times are forgotten. And I feel blessed. I can show up to a box and WOD in the comfort or the discomfort at times. But what I am not doing is sleeping in a tent somewhere, or in a makeshift shelter nor am I running carrying an injured comrade to safety. These are the things I think about when I do a heroes wod. I recommend you try it sometime. Go to a place where you can push beyond what is making you uncomfortable and think about.

I do have ONE little food tip and I will end with that. I love twice baked cauliflower- I talk about it often. Tonight- I didn't really have time to do all the prep and still eat at a reasonable hour. So I grabbed some trout from my Pops. Grabbed a HUGE head of cauliflower. Boiled it down 15-20 minutes. I added a little sea salt and fresh cracked pepper- red pepper flakes and greek seasoning. Boiled it until it was super mushy (yes this is an official cooking term) got out my handy dandy potato masher that hasn't seen any action in some time. Added a little coconut milk and garlic. Mashed it to a little bit of a chunky consistency and there you have it. Delicious mashed cauliflower!

Hope everyone is having a GREAT week. Food prep will be Sunday again as normal...Everyone needs a little vaca right??

No comments:

Post a Comment