Sunday, April 7, 2013

Reflections of The Open and FOOD!

Well...the Open is over. I can't believe it. Looking back now it went so fast. I ended up ok. I have alot to work on to be where I want to be next year. Kind of formulating a plan now. Finished 18 in the Southwest and 234 Worldwide. Am I happy? EH. I am ok. Always wishing for better!! 
 


Love my Bountiful Baskets
Started getting Bountiful Baskets again. A little light on veggies this week but still enough to get me through. ADVICE if you decide to do this. ALWAYS wash and cut your produce when you get it home. It just makes life so much easier!


Food is all washed cut up and bagged

Going to get food stuff out of the way. This might be a boring read for anyone who has ZERO interest in my CrossFit stories. So I will post food first then tell my story of the Open.

Since I am leaving on Saturday for Vegas it will be the first time to put a swimsuit on in a while...going to stay on point with my food this week. I plan on relaxing a bit in Vegas. NOT GOING CRAZY. It's just really hard when we fly to get the right foods. When we drive ...yes we pack a cooler with healthy food.
This week is going to be CRAZY BUSY for me. My baby boy turns 22 this week - going to have some bday stuff going on. I can't brag enough about how proud this boy makes me. He is boing to be a Dad, trying to finish school, and buying a house. Its crazy because I can remember the day he was born like it was yesterday! I am proud that in spite of all the trials and tribulations he has and is still facing in his life- he stood firm it what he believed in and made it a point to make something of himself! LOVE YOU SON!

So- This week looks like this. Had to make salsa for my nieces 16th Bday party so of course the batch was EXTRA large. I love my fresh salsa on my eggs...on anything really. Breakfast it going to be my staple-only I will be swapping out my spinach and hitting the kale hard. So breakfast-so simple- 3 eggs (1 whole 2 egg whites-I do switch this up from time to time and do 2 whole and 1 white-just depends on my fats) handful of kale and a lean protien-opting for chicken sausage. Super easy to cook even if all you have access to is a microwave.

Next- I saw this recipe on PaleOMG and I couldnt resist it. I really tried not too eat too many things like this during the open. I did pretty well. Last year I gained almost 10 pounds during the open. This year I lost 2. Not trying to lose any weight. Super happy where I am at. Just took my fats way to low. Anywhoo...So I did make these and I am tabling making the biscuits and gravy recipe. The one adjusment I did make because I wasn't cooking bacon and I don't save my fat I just subbed 2T of olive oil and I did have to cook them just a little longer. These are delicious! I am adding the biscuits and gravy recipe as well. You use the biscuits from the below recipe for it. I really spiced these up- they are a little on the sweet side with the sweet potato and coconut flour- wondering if you make them with almond flour how that might taste.



http://paleomg.com/shrimp-and-jalapeno-sweet-potato-biscuits/
http://paleomg.com/biscuits-and-gravy/

I made a small scotch meatloaf  (recipe posted last Sunday) cut the recipe kind of in half -made this small because I don't really want to have a bunch of food I have to freeze.
And thank heavens for Fast Paleo- if you haven't "liked" their FB page yet-I recommend you do so. They have recipes posting all day so I decided to give this one a try. If you have never worked with fish sauce..just be careful..the recipe calls for a few drops and that is all you need. Learned that the hard way last year! Also my Pops gave me a couple of trout filets and I cooked them as well. I am so ready for the week. Plenty of fruit and veggies from my Bountiful Basket. All I had to do was cook some meat!


http://fastpaleo.com/thai-mini-meatballs/

REFLECTIONS ON THE OPEN:


I am going to be brief. I have so much to say about this experience and what it does to you physically and emotionally. There are 100's of pictures I would love to post to really be able to sum up how I feel. Of all the pics of me, and again-there are a lot. For some reason this is my absolute favorite one. And here is why. Going into 13.5 I was willing to settle for 30 reps. In fact. Going in to each WOD I was willing to settle for far less than I should have. This pic kind of sums it all up. I struggle with chest to bar. I was bound and determined to make every rep count. I had to break them up a lot. But I got more than I had hoped for. I know now that with hard work TRAINING MY STRENGTHS AND MY WEAKNESS' that next year I won't be saying eh...I am ok with how I ended. The muscle up..may have...come back off the bucket list. Have some new tools in my belt on how to get there.


WHAT I HAVE GAINED: I have gained more than I can put into words. I look at my life and from where I was...to where I am going...it's really hard to believe. I am eternally grateful for my family-who I have always said took a leap of faith and opened CF22. Kat, Liz, Andy-they lead by example. The morals and standards by which they run CF22 is beyond what you will find at most places. Amy-my sweet sis who trained me for so long when I was still trying to figure things out and pushed me to start CF. My brother Matty-yet another shining example of what it means to really be an athlete. So SO SO proud of my Momma and my niece Riley. Our family had 9 competitors this year. We had 6 in the Individual Open. 1 in Masters 40-44, 1 in the Masters 45-49 and 1 in the Masters 60+. Each week as the workouts came out-each one of us had a different way of getting ready for what was ahead. This truly has been a fun experience and I can hardly wait to get started training toward next year. I clearly know what I need to work on. NO LONGER will I feel defeat when a WOD comes out that has pullups, chest to bar, handstand pushups, strict ring dips...and so on and so forth. I will be training the things I normally scale. So if you see me taking longer to finish a wod,...just know...I am training for the Open in 2014...where I WILL meet my goal of finishing in the top 100 Women in the Masters 45-49 world wide. Gots lots to do!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment