Sunday, March 17, 2013

13.2 done and moving on. Easy food stuff

The CrossFit Open is FLYING BY!!! I can't believe we are 2 wods in with only 3 to go. Super SUPER fun throw down at CF Race on Friday Night. This one we actually got to kind of watch some of our athletes and our family so it was awesome. I absolutely love this pic Matt Jensen captured after my Mom finished. Only thing really missing is big sis Robin...sniff sniff. My Mom did so good on this WOD. So proud of her for doing this. I can't stress enough how far removed from her comfort zone she is right now.

I am rapidly dropping in the rankings after 2 wods. I thought I would be super bummed about it but  considering  there are approximately 1000 more women in my age group this year compared to last. I am fine with it. I am sitting at 27th in the SW and 363 worldwide..YIKES. 
WOD 2 I was hoping to get a full 6 rounds so ending in my 8th round was quite a surprise. I was bummed that my legs went so early and that the 75lb push press seemed so heavy. But one and done. That's how I have to do this. I had another one of those moments where I thought I wanted to maybe do it again. But Liz put it best. If it makes a different of whether or not I would be going to regionals...then yes, do it again. Enough said. And well said. 
I know this week- well I am guessing this week we are going to see some form of a toes to bar or pull up or something.

SOME SHOULDER TIPS/ADVICE:  As I mentioned above. I think this week we are going to see some bar work- and not talking about barbells...I personally have been struggling with a nagging little shoulder issue that is finally starting to feel better. I am again realizing how important mobility is. DO IT PLEASE!!! I know time is precious. But so is taking care of those body parts after pushing them to the very limit. Take that extra 5 - 10 minutes and work on them. PLEASE! Thanks Kat for sharing this with me. I have been trying to pay it forward.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACAz6HFj1xE&feature=player_detailpage

This is my St Pattys day green!! Yum Yum!

LETS TALK FOOD BUSINESS! Started Bountiful Baskets up again this week. This is some of the stuff that was in the basket- I also ordered the Thai pack add on which got me basil, coconut, garlic, limes, some random roots, ginger, cilantro and napa cabbage. Loving it! Veggie side had broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus and lettuce. Fruit side had grapefruit, tangelos, mango's, apples and lemons. Forgot how awesome it was do this and plan my menu around it. Got everything washed and cut and put away, my fridge is HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY!! This is my happy fruit drawer in my fridge as well. I am going to give apples another shot this week I have decided but at the first sign of tummy rumbling they are going to have to go.

Menu is super simple this week- after checking out my basket I knew for sure I was doing a tomato sauce. This is one I kind of made up and kind of got from Andy Gunther. I was cooking mine in sauce pan on the stove top and he recommended throwing that goodness into the oven and roasting it. 
Indgredients
8-10 med size roma tomatoes ( I prefer roma but any kind is fine)
4-5 garlic cloves ( leave whole or cut in half but do not chop)
basil-here is where it gets tricky- I use a bunch but its all to your taste
1/2 red onion cut chunky
I like to throw all my ingredients into a bowl-toss it with some olive oil and a little sea salt and ground black pepper.
Bake at 350 for approx 20-30 minutes. 
I let it cool for just a bit and then throw all that goodness into the food processor and give it a few good pulses. Just depending on how chunky you want it. I leave it kind of chunky. This is my favorite sauce to have with spaghetti squash. 







Look at this big bag of basil! Had to use it all!!
You can't really have spaghetti squash with tomato sauce without a kick ass meatball. I make the same ones every time so I went out to PaleOMG and found this one. Just going to give you the link and then a few little tweaks I made.
http://paleomg.com/turkey-basil-artichoke-meatballs-egg-free-nut-free/

I followed her recipe with just a few minor things-I used a combo of turkey meat and 2 spicy chicken sausage. I added some garlic in with the onions and artichokes when I sauteed them. 

I was not shy at all on the basil. I am sure I chopped up more than it called for, and it called for dry parsley and I opted to use fresh and more than a tablespoon. Lately I have been making my meatballs in my mini muffin tin but I thought these would shrink alot so I just rolled them and cooked them on a cookie sheet. They didn't really shrink at all. Careful with the salt and pepper as the artichokes do have a salty flavor. I also added a little red pepper flake. They are great!















One more I found I will be trying this week. Didn't make it today
http://fastpaleo.com/asparagus-with-bacon-onion/

I did Kalua chicken thighs for my break from "spaghetti and meatballs" I love how simple this recipe is and only 4 ingredients are needed. 
I used boneless skinless chicken thighs usual. 
So for those of you who are not familiar. You simply line the bottom of your crockpot with 3-4 pieces of bacon-put your meat of choice on top-add garlic and hawaiian sea salt and plug that sucker in. I cook mine for 6 hours on high. At about hour 5, I shred the meat with 2 forks and let it cook the last hour then I let it sit for about 30 minutes as well after that. I love to just eat this as a "filler" so to speak but I love to use it on salad as well add it to some nice greens and top it with tomatillo salsa! YUM!!
My breakfast for this week is going to be my staple. Spinach- 1 whole egg 2 egg whites a few chicken sausage. Simple is as Simple does.

I don't really have much else. Have I ever mentioned how much I love Sunday? I love it. I love being able to just get the past week out of my head and have a new week to look forward to. I get my shopping, bill paying, cooking, laundry and other chores done and then I just get LAZY!!!! 

I also have to mention how much I am starting to appreciate competing. Its truly the cleanest I eat and I can't get over how great I have been feeling. With the exception of the pre-wod jitters that never seem to go away I feel great! 

Good luck to everyone with their eating- remember ...keep it clean!


No comments:

Post a Comment