Sunday, March 24, 2013

3 generations compete, goodbye 13.3! Trying to keep food simple!

MOM
Its completely strange to me that I am just now realizing that we have 3 generations competing in the CrossFit Open this year. I mean I knew this but I am not sure why it has taken so long to blog about it? That's pretty incredible right? My poor Dad. He must be a basket case every Friday night. Not only his wife, son and daughter in law and daughters and a son in law are competing, his granddaughter is as well. So I decided to grabbed some pictures just to show how amazing it really is. So lets start with my Mom. 71 years young. I was worried about this one. Getting that squat below parallel I knew was going to be a problem. But did she give up? NO! Many no reps for Momma but she just kept on going. 

Matty 
Next...babyboy of the family. I feel sick about Matty this year. He worked so hard in the months leading up to the Open. And ended up with an injury that I think probably (this is me just guessing here) broke his spirit more than anything. But still...he shows up every Friday and does some pretty amazing stuff. Last week it was strict pressing 135# like it was nothing...this week muscle ups. Didn't get to see my sweet Sis in law Shae go on this one- she was out of town and had to do it alone yesterday. Poor girl..no one should have to go through that.

Liz getting SO CLOSE!!
Riley
Lets move onto Mother and Daughter (other than us being daughters of our Mother) Liz and Riley. Riley amazes me. Girls her age aren't doing this on a Friday night. She is 15 and a sophomore in high school. I honestly don't know what girls her age do. I just know that I am sure her friends are out doing teenager things while she competes with her family. Pretty damn amazing.
The sheer pain of this WOD shows on Kats face

Me with a few serious attempts to get a muscle up
Amy making wall balls seem like a walk in the park!
That leads us to the rest of us. Amy, Kat and her hubby Andy. We have 3 different people in 3 different age groups of the Masters-40-44, 45-46 and 60+. AGAIN, not sure why this all just seems phenomenal to me today. I just feel that we are so blessed that we are all healthy an able to do this together. I don't know what normal families do with all their spare time. And I often wonder what in the HELL they talk about at family gatherings...he he. 
Andy getting his side kick muscle up...He did this wod 2 times!!
Well it's in the books. And I did ok. I got through the 150 wall balls and dubs and I got to the rings. This was the day that I was hoping I would get my "accidental" muscle up. I can't say I got close but I tell you what. I TRIED. SO SO SO glad this WOD is behind us.I ended at 21 in the SouthWest and 286 Worldwide..whew out of the 300's but not by much.  

Going to keep my food business brief. Below are my staples I picked up this week. By now there are things you should be buyin each time you go to the grocery store so if you get sick of what you made and repetitive eating is not for you- you can change it up a bit BUT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE INGREDIENTS ON HAND- that way you won't be tempted to eat like crap. 
I have to say this. Last year during the Open I gained almost 10 pounds. Don't as me how-with all the intestinal issues you have before the WOD it would seem impossible. This year I feel amazing. My eating is so on point during the week that I don't feel bad when I have something I normally wouldn't. I keep this to Saturday evening meals ONLY!! So here I have Kale, bagged salad, strawberries, eggs, avocados, portobellos, spaghetti squash. 
So for main dishes today I did chicken veggie meatballs - and buffalo chicken (remember this is just seasoned and cooked in Franks and then finished with a broil in the over). Lots of chicken this week- I actually wanted to make some ceviche' but I could not find any good fish that didn't cost a fortune. At Costco the containers of scallops and shrimp are enormous and they were like 30.00 a bag or something silly. And as much as I loved seafood for just me, little ol me that's way to much to spend just because I am having a seafood craving. I even went to Harmons hoping they had some reasonably priced whitefish in their fish counter but no such luck. I will put the links the recipes I did use at the bottom of this blog. 
For sides I still have some broccoli left from last week but I did opt to make twice baked cauliflower again. This time-I used just about a tablespoon or so of goat cheese and skipped the other cheese. UMMM delicious. 


And last but not least. Breakfast. Thanks Maria for posting a new recipe this week. Mine doesn't look quite as good as yours but it's absolutely delcious. I didn't think I would like it with the coconut milk (I am wierd about my eggs) but this is really good. 









Well. That's it.  Kind of all over the board on food business today. Wasn't sure what I wanted but happy with what I ended up with. 
Good Luck with your eating this week. If you haven't figured out by now how important food prep is, hopefully you will figure it out soon! 
BRING ON 13.4...I AM READY!

http://paleospirit.com/2011/twice-baked-cauliflower/
http://www.multiplydelicious.com/thefood/2011/08/chicken-veggie-meatballs-with-pesto-zucchini-noodles/
http://optimalnutrition1.blogspot.com/2013/03/squasage-bake.html

1 comment:

  1. wow, how very cool to read, and what an effort-just to compose it all. Graet job on 13.3, see ya friday-
    Bob W

    ReplyDelete