Sunday, March 3, 2013

Oh the Open...Food Prep...keeping it simple.


The Open is upon us. Are you ready....ahhhhhhh eeekkkkkk ehhhhh...CRAZY 2 days and counting...I don't know that I need to say much more! So excited to see what this year brings.



First- for those of us that love Scotch Eggs...This is AWESOME. Can't wait to try it. I would have tried it this week but I already had my menu semi planned so this will have to wait and I out of coconut aminos. I think you WILL want them for this. ASIAN SCOTCH EGGS!!!http://fastpaleo.com/asian-scotch-eggs/


Quick things I am doing this week. 

1. Have a dozen eggs baked and ready to go. Just a reminder- I have been cooking mine about 330 degrees for approx 20 minutes-make sure to give them that good ice bath after-easy peeling.




2. Switching up breakfast. I opted for turkey sausage link NOT PRE-cooked-cooked them and bagged them in 2's -this with a handful spinach a few eggs-going to be simple and delicious. Mixed my spinach and kale together.


3. Adding spaghetti squash. (my own recipe)- I just cut a cucumber-add a little olive oil and lemon and shake a little greek seasoning on it. Adding a little bit of starch in this week. 

4. KEEPING IT SIMPLE. 

So I had 3 recipes that I posted last week when my oven was down that I wanted to try. I really am only trying the Beef Broccoli. So here is my menu below

The Salmon -
1 lemon
olive oil
seasonings of your choice-
dill-fresh is preferred but if you can't find it bottled is fine.


As much as I wanted to try the pecan crusted (Marias recipe) I opted to just bake my salmon the old school way I love it. This salmon from Costco is gorgeous and no skin! I use a pretty fair amount of olive oil on both sides. I also LIGHTLY season both sides- this is NOT necessary and you can get it over seasoned without realizing it rather quickly so just go easy. I use a whole lemon over the top-again will run off and get underneath so no need to turn it. Then just add a fair amount of dill. I love fresh but I couldn't find any today so I had to settle for bottled-bake COVERED for 20 minutes. I love to do this on the grill as well.
I do not love my salmon overcooked so if anything-20 minutes may not be long enough but I found for this size fillet it was fine.

Lastly- the beef broccoli from last week. 
http://fastpaleo.com/beef-broccoli
I am not sure that I love the flavors. The anise, fennel seed and cinnamon was just not super pleasing to my palate. Not sure why. I do this though-I make them to the recipe the first time but already my mind is just churning with ideas about how I can make this more pleasing to me. If you like these flavors together my only caution is that it is a little spicy. I was heavy handed with the crushed red pepper because I love spice but if you are making this for kids you may want to pull back a little. Altogether, it's good but just not my kind of flavor.

That's it. I did make a little treat this week. All in the freezer where they belong. My eating has been pretty clean and I don't want to derail myself but I just made some mini banana donuts and skipped the "frosting". 

I can't believe WOD 1 will be announced this week. Everything I have been trying to do for the past few or longer months will now be put to the test. I feel strong, and scared, and excited and focused. I am especially excited for the people at our box who are doing this for the first time and super stoked to watch my niece Riley do this. Its going to be AMAZING!!

Well that's eat. Eat Clean- watch your training this week if you are doing the open. Don't be crazy please be smart and listen to your body!! Have a GREAT week!


No comments:

Post a Comment