Sunday, May 5, 2013

You had me at HASH...please...rest...and try and make food prep a family affair??

WOWZERS!!! What a week!!

I can't believe first of all its MAY! Crazy..usually at this time I am looking forward to running the Ogden Half Marathon..took a pass this year, this is silly I know-but because it was a lottery and also honestly..I forgot...BUT I am not lacking in getting my run on..HOLY SUNDAY SPRINTS!!! Today was so so TOUGH for me. It's funny...only 5 of us today...I think people do not realize how therapeutic this can be! Here we are at the end....

Please squint to see us perched atop the hill..8 hill runs=DEATH!!!
 I helped my Mr. (yes this is a new label I am trying out -sounds better than boyfriend to me) move all day Saturday. Let me just say. I am one strong chick. I wodded in the morning (3 wods in less than 24 hours..DON'T recommend this) and lugged boxes around all damn day and to be honest- I didn't really start getting tired until I had been in constant movement for about 12 hours. Pretty awesome eh?
Had to share this pic. This car is his baby...I snapped a pic of him snapping a pic of how happy he is that his M FINALLY has a covered home..cheesy I know.

I had a pretty amazing workout week. Learning how really important having a REST day is. I coach on Thursdays now so-I could WOD but I am taking advantage of the opportunity to rest. I recommend EVERYONE work at least ONE full rest day and one active recovery day in every single week. For me active recovery is Sunday Sprints. I know it doesn't sound like recovery but here's the deal. We do it 9:00 AM and honestly- I think my sis Kat said it pretty good today. If she doesn't do something she is so bitchy..I agree..I am too. I have to do SOMETHING and although sprints ARE NOT for the faint of heart...I am finding that because they are in the morning I get pretty good recovery until I WOD on Monday night. Saturday we did the Heroes WOD "The Seven" This wod is very deceiving and this was my 3rd WOD in less than 24 hours. I mention this because I am an old broad. I have no business working out that much...in my opinion no one does really. So this is the end result. After not tearing forever...I tear in the middle of a heroes wod. I was so PISSED. I HATE tearing- it takes you out of the game for too long!


FOOD!!!!
I have been thinking ALOT about how my life differs from so many that I know. I have pretty much just me to worry about most of the time. I have heard many people mention IF THEY COULD JUST FOOD PREP how much easier it would be to say on track. SO...today I timed myself. OCD'ish I know. But here's the deal. 3 hours. Can you carve out 3 HOURS to food prep on Sunday? AND this included my shopping- AT 2 stores. I don't go to church so ya...I probably have 3 more hours than most but this is what I came up with. Why not make it a family affair?? I am not going to lie. The road to eating healthy isn't an easy or short one. You HAVE to be willing to commit the time and the effort. If not, you will always be fighting a losing battle. So- here were my "staples" I picked up this week. Have you figured out what yours are yet?? I have my blueberries, watermelon (didn't get a basket this week) eggs, rotisserie chicken, salmon-salad -spinach and avocados and asparagus. Interesting thing someone at work told me about asparagus. If you snap it, it will naturally break where it is supposed to. I have yet to prove it wrong. Anyway-back to food prep-maybe you can make this a time the whole family gets involved? Someone cuts, someone bags-I don't know-just throwing ideas out there.

Menu is pretty simple this week and only ONE borrowed recipe and of course from PaleOMG. Breakfast is DONE. I love hash and this one just intrigued me tons. It's absolutely delicious. I made it with 5 eggs just because well I go to work each day so I need breakfast x 5.
http://paleomg.com/easy-delicious-breakfast-hash/
Of course this recipe DID NOT disappoint. I sneaked a little sample its absolutely delicious- 2 things I did a little differently. I didn't use garlic powder-I used crushed garlic and I added a jalapeno as well as about 1t of red pepper flakes-which might I add is my new addiction...

The rest of my menu is easy peezy! Lemon and dill salmon-rosemary, garlic and feta turkey burgers and just again-like last week tons of fresh veggies and some fruit.

LEMON AND DILL SALMON:
I get this at Costco. I love that the skin is removed and I can pre-cut it into servings. I just rub with some olive oil I use 1 and 1/2 lemons and just drench it and then I season ONE SIDE ONLY with fresh dill, a little sea salt, cracked black pepper, red pepper flakes and of COURSE-my greek seasoning. I cook this on the grill on the lowest flame for about 15 minutes. It's a little pink in the center still but I love it like that AND I have to reheat it so this helps to make it not too dried out.

Burgers are super easy as well. I chopped 1/4 yellow onion - about 1T fresh rosemary (I am careful with fresh rosemary because I get heartburn super easy from it) 1T crushed garlic (seems like a lot I know but go big or go home) 2T crumbled feta (can omit if you are doing no dairy) and other seasonings to taste. Cooked on the grill of course!
Something new I decided to try. I had 4 really nice tomatoes I needed to use- wasn't in the mood to stuff them. So I simply sliced them-kind of thick-drizzled a little olive oil over them, added fresh basil, fresh oregano (maybe 1T of each) sea salt and cracked black pepper and grilled them super low for about 20 minutes. They are DELICIOUS!! another great side and super easy.



I love how my fridge looks when food prep has been completed...look closely- the B on the egg carton is for boiled!! HA!

Super excited to start a new week. I have my over the top struggling week behind me and I feel like I have a refreshed sense of focus.



 
In closing- saw this today and could totally relate. How much time are you WASTING  comparing yourselves to others? If I could give ONE piece of advice on this topic it would to STOP. Focus on you and your goals and forget about what the person suffering next to you is or is not doing. Have a great week everyone!! As always- EAT CLEAN...TRAIN DIRTY!

No comments:

Post a Comment