Sunday, June 16, 2013


HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!
This is one good looking family!!!
 
 


Grandpa sharing Kolbys big day

I just want to thank my Dad-my Pops, Kenny for always being there. He is an amazing Father that is for sure but what is really even more amazing is what a great Grandfather he has been to my son. It's no secret that my Dad had to kind of step up and be a role model. I can't imagine not having my Father in my life in the role that he has always played and
unfortunately my son has not been that lucky. So I have to tell my Dad publicly thanks for stepping up when it was necessary and being that positive male figure in my sons life. He has been there for the little things but most importantly he was and is there for all the big things. A big day in my sons life was when he was able to stand in a blessing circle and participate in giving his Grandpa a blessing when he was getting to ready to have a medical procedure done.



I know the pics are hard to see but some of the fondest memories I have with my Dad are camping and fishing memories. I just wanted to share. I am extremely blessed to have him as my Pops.


Lets get down to food business. I could go on and on about my Dad and such.

 







First, made some super easy appetizers for a Summer Party. Used the basil out of my potted plants. Caprese skewers. So simple. I bought the mozzarella balls from Costco (not paleo I know. I wasn't making them for me) they are soaked in oil and herbs and spices. I plated them all up and then drizzled the balsamic over them right when I arrived at the party. They went fast. Just an easy fresh idea.


This weeks menu-souvlaki-bacon wrapped chicken thighs and lots of GREEN!!!!



Souvlaki is SUPER easy. I simply buy a pork loin that is already marinated. I think it is garlic and lemon or Mediterranean I am not 100% certain. I still add the juice of AT LEAST another 2 lemons, greek seasoning-fresh oregano, thyme and Italian parsley. I cut it all up and put it in a Ziploc for a minimum of 4 hours. The lemon helps to break down the fibers in the meat thus making it very tender!! I got 4 really healthy skewers today. I am using this as meat for my salads this week.  Clearly I grilled these they are delicious. If you are doing Paleo + dairy it is awesome to make a good taziki (greek yougurt)sauce to dip these in. Also I just grabbed some chicken thighs. Did the same thing- seasoned them up and let them sit in the fridge for a few hours. I used a little red pepper flakes as well as a touch of cayenne pepper, and ...of course...wrapped them in BACON!

 
For my green this week I am opting to go with brussel sprouts. I cooked a few strips of bacon (I think I got this recipe from my sis in law Shae) -I cook them to crispy so I can break them up easily. I remove the pan from the heat and throw in a little garlic and red pepper flakes..Put the pan back on the heat and when that starts to pop and sizzle I remove the pan from the heat again and add in my cut up brussel sprouts. If you are wondering WHY I remove from the heat..the garlic and the sprouts will both pop so you need to just be cautious of that. I love my veggies al dente  so I cook for about 5-7 minutes-crumble up my bacon- squeeze in a 1/2 lime a little sea salt and ground black pepper and then cut up 1 avocado and throw it in at the last minute. This is delicious and it reheats up great.
 


I also have grapes left over from last weeks basket, a container of watermelon-I bought a few cucumbers and a huge container of the organic salad mix from Costco. My eating was so on point all week last week so I want to continue on that trend. I can honestly say when my eating is on point my workouts are as well.  

I did decide to try out a new Paleo treat recipe I saw on Fast Paleo. Since my Dad loves chocolate I figured I would test them out on him. He ate 2 BEFORE he went to dinner tonight so I am guessing they passed with him. These are really delicious and super easy to make!
http://fastpaleo.com/chocolate-avocado-muffins/


Last week was a pretty tough WOD week. Looking forward to what lies ahead. I had a little mishap while playing with the kids at the summer party I went to yesterday.... WHO DOES THIS???? WHO BRUISES THE ARCH OF THEIR FOOT?? (oh sorry about the dirty feet..I love being barefoot.)



Anyway..I somehow managed to jump and land down on a rock...not sure how this is going to feel if I have to run anytime soon...or with my heels to go to work tomorrow...oh well...as they say...no pain..no gain!!

Hope everyone had a GREAT weekend. Set your intentions for the week today!! Focus on how you want your week to be and get to work today making sure to set yourself of for success.

As always...EAT CLEAN...AND TRAIN DIRTY!!!

Croni...out.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment