Sunday, June 30, 2013

Are you being smart and beating the heat?? Food is going to be light for the week!

HOLY HOTNESS!!!!

 
I can not get over how extremely hot it is outside right now. People PLEASE BE SMART ABOUT EXERCISING OUTSIDE IN THIS HEAT!!! Hydrate well and use your noggin about whether or not you need to be outside in the heat pushing yourself. Even at 9 AM when we did sprints this morning it was already 81 degrees. I made sure that I had a 33 oz bottle of water and I made sure I sipped water during our short breaks. I also keep my coffee at just one coffee for today- remember that coffee is a diuretic so try and keep consumption of beverages that may not really hydrate you at a minimum.

It was a gorgeous day to sprint though. Small group but awesome! Myself, Matt, Liz and Amanda..did some new stuff that was FUN! tough but fun (love a little backward running). I always say that when it's over. Again, super hot and a tough run sequence but a gorgeous quiet day at the track.

My basil and oregano are out of control. It makes me giddy to look at my healthy plants. I can't help but just keep showing them off. Water and sun..who knew??



Is it just me or does anyone struggle eating at night in this heat?? I get home from work and working out and I seriously am beat. Could be that work is stressful and wodding was hard last week or I am big WUSS!! I keep promising to make the pizza but it's going to have to wait, its just too hot for pizza.
This week I am keeping things simple and light- lots of salad- I bought a rotisserie chicken-some burger meat which I am going to make small sliders with and I made a large container of guacamole to plop on everything. I baked some bacon  because you always can add bacon to everything to make it better.
One recipe I have found that I love us actually the 2nd part of one of my favorite meatball recipes. I made some turkey burgers and made this awesome "pasta" with zucchini as a side. Its been fun being able to use the abundance of basil I have.
http://www.multiplydelicious.com/thefood/2011/08/chicken-veggie-meatballs-with-pesto-zucchini-noodles/

Paleo Spinach Pesto
2 cups fresh spinach
1 cup fresh basil
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
In a food processor, add spinach, basil, garlic, salt and pepper.  Turn food processor on and add olive oil while processing.  Pulse until blended thoroughly.  If you need to add more olive oil add 1 tablespoon at a time.
Zucchini Noodles
1 to 2 large zucchini’s
1 tablespoons coconut oil
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Cut zucchini with a mandolin into “noodles”.
In a skillet heat 1 tablespoons coconut oil, sauté zucchini with minced garlic and salt and pepper to taste until soft or resembles noodles.  Toss noodles with spinach pesto and heat for about 1 minutes.
My only advise is careful with the oil. Let it sit for a few after you have added in the required amount before you add more





I am excited to share this next recipe. Since I kind of made it up. I saw something similar posted on FB but it was with peanut butter and I think almond bark or something. I instantly thought...."how can I make that Paleo?" I am being careful with any kind of treats right now. Since I was suckered into competing on the 19th of this month I know that I need to really keep my eating in check - but I look at it like this, if you have to have a treat...may as
well be Paleo.

Simple Ingredients

2 bananas sliced
Sun butter
Enjoy life chocolate melted.

Slice the bananas to desired thickness. Put a small dollop of sun butter on one side..top with another slice of banana. If haven't worked with sun butter IT IS NOT THE SAME CONSISTENCY AS PEANUT BUTTER. So I lined a cookie sheet with parchment knowing I was going to have to freeze these before I could coat with the chocolate.  I put them in the freezer for about 2 hours.
I then melted my enjoy life chocolate and coated and back in the freezer they went. Honestly I wish that I would have made the just a LITTLE smaller. I had to test them...I cut in half, then quarters...they honestly are DELICIOUS!!!
I think you can see right away how these could be dangerous. It made a dozen.

Looking forward to a new week!! Especially a week with a holiday in it. Love the 4th of July...and knowing we are doing Heroes WODS all week at CrossFit22...makes it even more exciting. It's a time when I feel like I can get over myself and WOD for something more important. No complaints this week!! Regardless!

I can't believe that tomorrow starts JULY!!! Where has this year gone?
Well this is about all I have today.

Set your mind on what you want to accomplish this week and get out there and get it done. My goals, no complaining, work hard at movements I struggle with even if it takes me longer to get through and eat as clean as I can and still enjoy the Holiday! OH YA...AND STAYING HYDRATED!!! Have a great week everyone!! Croni-OUT. (ps I changed my look a little-still not complicated and I added a few new blogs that I like to stalk for info on the side bar.)





2 comments:

  1. Dangerously delicious? We're all in.
    Thanks for the great adapation. Of course I appreciate it since I blog for the SunButter brand and we're always looking for new recipes. But as a fellow baker, I'm eager to try these goodies, especially since turning on the oven is not a preferred option these days. Thanks for a great post, Joni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!! Sunbutter has been my life saver since going Paleo. This treat is perfect for summer-hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete