Wednesday, June 5, 2013

10 things to share from Regionals.....Even if it's late..try and food prep.

Right now my days are completely out of control. Its been a long while since I have been so busy at work. Trust me..it's a GREAT thing but whoa it makes for some long days.
Staying true to my  Wednesday and Sunday postings will be a challenge..but hell..I am up for it. So..I always say I am going to brief -I know. I always say that but this time I mean it.

Food first then fun. Because I worked at Regionals all weekend I had no time for food prep -this was a really bad thing. My eating was off and I felt like crap. So last night at 9:00 I fired up my grill and grilled turkey breast and some turkey burgers. I made a huge arugula and spinach salad with cucumber, tomatoes, 1/2 beet and TURKEY SLICES!! with if course my staple greek dressing...feels good to kind of feel back on track.

I wish that I could go into details of what an amazing experience volunteering at Regionals was. I have tried to narrow it down to 10 things that really pierced my soul (so dramatic I know) I am going to share them in no specific order- (some photos courtesy of Matt Jensen)

1. Big things come in small packages. Love this girl!

Tiffany Hendrickson gets a measley 190# OH squat 3 TIMES!! (photo copyright of Matt Jensen)



2. My niece Riley is really quite the little bad ass!!! I have said it before..
 


She can be easily coerced into showing off her SKILLS!!
3. When bailing out of an overhead squat...release BOTH hands from the bar....regardless of how bad you want it...you could tear something if you are not careful. (be thankful I don't have a pic for this)
 
4. CrossFitters are NOT shy about NOT wearing some clothes..it works for some...doesn't work for others. But if you got it..flaunt it. Hard to see I know-check out the dude in the short shorts with no shirt.
 
 
 
 
 

 
5. Sometimes your baby sis gets a better job than you and at first you are mad...but then by Sunday- you really wish it was still her doing that job...long story! She had much respect for these athletes!
 
 
6. Chris Spealler is a warrior. I know many people dislike him. I don't care. He is a warrior. To continue to try and compete with all of the new talent coming into the SW that are bigger, stronger and younger...he's a true fighter. I was impressed!
 
7. A little integrity goes a very long way. So many people lack integrity anymore. Wish I had a pic of team Tekton for this.
 
8. Judges at these events are completely under appreciated. I love how people just dog them out so bad when they don't agree with a call a judge made. If only they knew! (this is our own judge from CF22 Jason who was awesome!!)
 
9. When going to the Olympic Oval, you turn by the Burger King Jesus sign...

10. Last and certainly not least. After a WOD...bodies hit the floor, even at Regionals (makes me feel so much less dramatic).


Again. I can't stop talking about how amazing this experience was. To be right on the floor with the Athletes and in the staging area before and after a WOD I was able to see and experience so many things. I feel inspired to quit focusing on the things I say I "can't" do and start really putting myself out there and trying just a little harder. Today I failed on rope climbs but managed to get through 30 handstand push ups when my goal was to only get 15. And after attempted rope climbs again and finally got them!
 
In closing...just want to share a funny of the day. Thanks Jo. You know me all too well. Half way there folks! hang in there and finish the week strong!!!
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Joni - my name is Natalie, from Tekton Crossfit. A friend of mine shared your blog with me, and I'm curious about your comment. Would you be willing to share what you saw from members of Team Tekton?

    And thanks for the NO BS BLOG. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am copying this from FB. I replied to you on there as well.
    The judge that scored you all on the OH squat scored you wrong. Nothing against the judge I think they didn't make it clear how to mark the card. he had you with way more points than you all got. As the scoring runner I had to come find your team and try and validate your scores. He had it completely wrong and your team was not only very kind at a time when I would be freaking out they were completely forthright with what your scores should have been. I was just impressed. Not everyone would have had that kind of integrity in a situation like that.

    ReplyDelete