Sunday, July 21, 2013

Reflections....and some food..

I am going to apologize in advance for the fact that this post may have very little that appears like my regular Sunday post other than I will post some recipes and some food pics.

Love that this girl tricked me into competing!! Best experience!
WHERE TO BEGIN??? About a month ago Michelle Clements asked my to do a competition with her on her 40th birthday. I don't know that I really thought twice about turning her down. In fact I really didn't have any regrets until after I registered. Not sure why. I think mostly because I soon realized I would be competing with other people that I really didn't know. I realized that it was a high possibility that no one from my box would be competing either. That's really the only regret I had. WHAT A STUPID REGRET!!!


HERE ARE THE REWARDS I WAS ABLE TO OBTAIN THIS WEEKEND:

1. Met some amazing athletes of all levels.


2. Made some new friends that I probably would not have otherwise had the opportunity to connect with.
Love that this crew just welcomed me in and made me feel like one of them!!

3. Experienced the thrill, fear and pain of making it to the "finals" of a competition. (thanks to all the really strong athletes that didn't participate in this event for making this possible for me or us rather)




4. Watched Michelle compete for the first time- so fun to talk her off the ledge and help her to realize that all she has to do is what she does! She is a freaking WORK HORSE!!! Scaled or not she earned her way to the finals!


5. Felt what it's like to be the OLDEST person competing in a comp and making it to the last WOD.

6. Felt what it was like to realize I was wodding next to someone that is a damn amazing athlete and knowing if I pushed just a little harder I was going to her beat her on FRAN!!! (puketastic right?) Worst Fran time ever...it was after 1 minute max reps of OH squat and in the 100 degree heat so I am still so happy! (the person I beat ended up placing 3rd overall!) I am happy to say that although I did less overheads than her-my strategy allowed me to push past her.

7. I already knew this...but...technique...sometimes it really is all about technique...need to work the hip boost more!


8. Felt the pain of taking a 16 pound med ball straight to the face on your last desperate effort to get as many reps as you can. That shiz was painful...my neck is JACKED!!!

9. Learned to be just a little more patient.

10. Realized that I am a stronger competitor and athlete that I have ever given myself credit for. Mentally and physically.

I have to admit. I am very much looking forward to the Retro Games in 2 weeks. Having a partner, sharing the work..It will be a nice change from what I went through. Thanks to Elevated CrossFit- it was crazy but it will just keep getting better- thanks for a good time!

Now for food stuff. Bountiful Baskets was good. Thanks to my son and sweet daughter in law for picking up my slack so I could focus on competing. Veggies were-kale-using for breakfast in place of spinach, cauliflower-see recipe below-lettuce..Fruit was way too many almost spoiled plums which I juiced...not too bad, cantaloupe, grapes, bananas (see Rileys treat) and kiwi. I will probably use all this. I am staying super focused on eating clean because Retro Games is just 2 weeks away. After that I will relax a little in Napa.

So here is it...Rileys treat. Simple ingredients...Sunbutter, banana and the oh so addicting Enjoy Life chips-
This is SO EASY TO DO. Slice the banana, top with a little Sunbutter and add chips to your liking. I am not trying to go too crazy...still have a comp ahead of me...AND FREEZE!!! These are a delightful little snack!

This week I am keeping it easy. I cooked up some burgers and chicken breast.


 
 
 
 
 
 

Since I got cauliflower in my basket I searched for a new recipe and found one on fast paleo. 2 tips. Let the cauliflower sit on paper towels for at least 30 minutes and honestly...I left the seeds in the jalapenos (love spice) and added just a few shakes of coconut aminos. This is DELICIOUS!!! Also, I cooked this in my WOK just covered it with foil.

Hard to believe that we are starting a new week already and that July is almost over. I always have to look back and make sure that I made the most of every month that I possibly can. This month ZERO regrets. Life is so crazy, constantly changing if you allow it to. I feel blessed and happy and just so lucky to be able to get up each day and live life to the fullest. I look back even just 3 years ago and I can't think of  time when life was better for me than it is right now.

FOCUS on what your goals are! What do you really want to achieve? Don't make them so lofty that you are constantly feeling defeated. Take life one day at a time and know that it's going to come with disappointments and set backs...know how to handle them and forge on and forward through it all.


Have an amazing week everyone! Work hard, train smart and dirty and you know me...as always...EAT CLEAN FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING HOLY!!!

CRONI OUT!

Recipes below that I am trying this week
http://fastpaleo.com/recipe/spicy-ginger-lime-cauliflower-rice/
http://fastpaleo.com/recipe/seared-ahi-with-wasabi-slaw/ (making the wasabi slaw only- too hard to get good tuna here!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment