Sunday, January 27, 2013

I can't stress it enough, keep it simple...

Sunday, Funday, Food prep day...

With a nutrition challenge at CF22 starting I thought now would be a good time, since I am not doing it, to share my tips. These are just things I do to try and stay on track.

Why am I not doing it you ask? I do pretty decent when I am not doing a challenge. When I am doing a challenge...oh boy...I have issues. I don't know why. I think because I feel that I have pretty good control and for some reason when I commit to do a challenge all of the sudden everything I have no issue with otherwise becomes an issue.
So here it goes

1. TAKE "BEFORE" PICTURES TODAY!! DO IT NOW!!

Why do I recommend this? The one thing that I failed to do when I decided Paleo was for me, was to document my progress. I didn't have a good solid before picture. I was blessed that someone snapped some pics of me along the way. And although I am not doing the challenge, I took a before pic. Why? because I had a starchy week last week and I am struggling a little. I do this from time to time. I will take a pic and refer to it often. I may even take a pic each week but I would think every other week is sufficient. My goal is to get this midsection under control. So here is my before. If I can put my pic out there, you can at least just take one. I recommend a full body pic but I have my eye on the middle.
There is some serious room for improvement here.

This is a suggestion only, I just think that if you don't do it. You will wish you had.
 
 
2. KEEP IT SIMPLE.
 
All of it. The eating-the meal prep-the tracking. Keep it simple. It's a lot to do this time but it's a point system so if you can track it on a spreadsheet or your phone. DO IT.
I would say if you are new to Paleo and a challenge now may not be a time to try a bunch of complicated recipes. Keep it simple. Then once you get comfortable you try some recipes. Here is one I love to do and its so simple. I eat this for breakfast on the weekend sometimes...just put an egg on it to make it feel like "breakfast". Its simple-and so messy! Romaine or butter lettuce-tomato-avocado-bacon of course and an egg-I like to throw a little mustard on the lettuce. So there it is breakfast BLT. Simple, messy and oh so delicious.
 



 
Here is another good and quick idea, especially if you are wondering how you are going to pass up those hot wings on Super Bowl Sunday. This is NOT the first time I have posted this and honestly I think you could tweak this one however you like. It's just so simple that is what I love about it
I actually got this recipe off Marias blog (Optimal Nutrition). It's so easy and no kidding I probably do this 2 times a month. Here is my version. I use 2 packages of the boneless skinless chicken thighs from Costco. I try and trim some of the excess fat. I think there are 4 or 5 to a package. I actually season them up with some greek seasoning, a little onion powder and garlic powder and cracked pepper. I then just simply pour Franks Red hot over it. If you read the ingredients on Franks, I am certain they are all legal-cayenne, water, salt, vinegar and garlic powder. Just cover the thighs and put that crock pot on high for about 6 hours and then put them on a pan-pour that goodness over the top and broil them. They are over the top delicious. 

 
3. WATER INTAKE- don't freak out about this.
 
It may seem like you are being required to drink a lot of water. Trust me 64 ounces is not too much water. You should be drinking that anyway, however, you don't really need to go much more. I personally try and get 99 ounces- which is 3 of the Costco 33 ounce water bottles. It doesn't always happen. When I eat lots of leafy greens. I rarely get 99 in. The one thing I noticed immediately when I started drinking more water. MY SKIN LOOKED BETTER. So if for no other reason. Get that water in but don't go crazy.
 
And lastly
4. BE HONEST: Be honest with your team mate and be honest with yourself. I look at it like this. If you are ALL on ALL the time you are to be commended and have no business doing the challenge.
Reach out to your team mate when you are feeling weak or you want to cheat. There are so many variables in this challenge. If you have a bad eating day-turn the page and get right back on it tomorrow. But for the love of everything holy- at the end of the day what the challenge is REALLY for is to help you get on track and stay and track AND to be ready for the OPEN!!!  It's not about the prize at the end of the road. Your prize will be that you will perform better as an athlete and also you are basically saving your own life!
 
I am always open to questions if you have them. I think that Kat, Liz, Andy, Amy, Matt, Maria, Anyone who has done a challenge is a good source of info. Talk to us. Let us help you. Don't be afraid to grab one of us and find out what we are doing and how we are doing it. I think the goal is to get you all to succeed and if you can't do it alone, no worries, that is what we all have each other for.
 
I have some additional awesome recipes that I will post during the week. Twice baked cauliflower? a great way to cook brussel sprouts? I am sick of breakfast?

Good Luck everyone. I am with you in spirit. I have my own challenge going on. I am here if you need me. Text me, call me, email me, stop me at the box. I am so excited for you all! The Open starts in 38 days....

1 comment: