Monday, January 21, 2013

I have a dream, and It's going to be a salad kind of week!


"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character......."

It's appropriate for me to post this today, as the mother of a bi-racial son this particular paragraph has always stood out to me. I would think the Mother of any child can appreciate this. I told my son today that I feel (these are my feelings people) that he is proof that Dr Kings dream did come true. As he was growing up I often wondered how he would be viewed. But the thing is this.The kid has the character of someone wise beyond his years. He is living proof that regardless of your color, your social status, your geography if you work hard and live an honest life people will respect and admire you. I love my son and am just so proud of what and who he has become. This is one of my favorite more recent pics of him. I get the pleasure of training him and his sweet wife and his work ethic in life shows in the gym as well. They are a beast of a couple and they truly are capable of anything. Love you two!


Well I am going to keep my food business short and sweet. I am feeling a strong salad week coming on. Not sure why. I am sure I am not the only one that goes through this. But I have this big bag of kale so I searched specifically or a salad with kale and PRESTO! Found one- this one also has beets, carrots and is from the whole 30 approved page from the Foodee Project- this source has endless amazing recipes but I am including the link

http://cavemanconnoisseur.com/2012/10/31/kale-caesar-with-roasted-autumn-vegetables/

I love salads but I have to have protein on my salad so I stopped at Rancho Market and purchased some delicious chicken. Just baked it and sliced it up.
This marinated chicken is one of my weakness"

Salad protein all ready to go easy to grab


My initial search for beets I figured I would be stuck using larger beets but LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!! I purchased these at WalMart. I got a little nervous as I picked this up and flipped it over to see what the ingredients just so happened to be. I was so happy to see this one. INGREDIENTS. BEETS. Awesome-The dressing is delicious-the only thing I subbed was capers for the anchovies.



I really hope Maria doesn't mind me sharing 2 of her recipes this week. I will always give her kudos-she is super creative and I admire her tons. For lots of reasons. She posted this stew and instantly I knew I had to try BUT, I really have to watch my starches. Not everyone does but I have noticed that I started to feel a little puffy with too much starch so I really really like to keep it in check. The prescribed CF diet is as follows:
What Should I Eat?
In plain language, base your diet on garden vegetables, especially greens, lean meats, nuts and seeds, little starch, and no sugar.
Lets be honest. Its FREEZING cold. This is currently still in my crock pot but I am sure when this hits the tummy it is going to be so warm and delicious. And if I know Maria I know that this freezes well. Here is how my crock pot looked as I got ready to plug it in. Recipe link is below.
YUM!!!
http://optimalnutrition1.blogspot.com/#!/2013/01/sweet-potato-squash-chorizo-stew.html

I still have about 4 servings of the crock pot breakfast casserole from last week-it freezes well!! But Maria posted this today and I had to try it. I think I will maybe use this as either a quick pre or post wod snack as well and see how it works. There are my little cups going into the oven.

They are currently doing their last 5 minutes of cooking. Can't wait to give them a try.
I have posted a bunch of Marias recipes on here. I think early when I started my blog I pointed out that it was through 1 conversation with her that I became serious about really trying out this Paleo stuff. Visit her blog often. She is very knowledgeable - last week she posted about Adrenal health and it was an amazing read. I would encourage everyone to read it.

Well that's it folks. My food for the week. I have some back up chicken thighs and tilapia as always should I burn out on salad or soup (that will happen about Wed) Keeping it kind of simple and going green. 

Also I have to add this on here. The registration for Angels for Alex is up- here is the link below if you haven't already seen us blasting this all over Facebook. Also if you know of any business' that may want to donate some swag for a raffle EMAIL ME IMMEDIATELY!!!(mccloynfam@msn.com) WOD Love Clothing has already provided some amazing items-they were extremely generous-and they are going to be getting lots of KUDOS from me, I was already a huge fan but I was completely elated about thier willingness to give. The items could be coupons, discounts, hats, shirts, socks etc...this is for an amazing cause-get on board. www.angelsforalex.wodhub.com

Have a GREAT week everyone - Eat Clean and WOD until you can no longer move your body parts!!! you only live once you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment