Sunday, December 23, 2012

Family First and fighting "The Hunger"

Desi as always with impeccable form

First just want to say thanks to my girl Desi who got many of us out to WOD today on a Sunday- Des has been wodding with us for over a year -she recently moved to Vegas and was back visiting family for the Holidays. I have always loved to WOD with Des. Talk about a little spit fire with integrity to match. She never cuts reps knowingly-or intentionally just to get a "better time" she knows herself well and she is not one to compromise her form for weight or time. She makes the people who WOD around want to do better. So much fun to have you today-chipper followed up with a 1+ mile run-awesome for a Sunday
NOW...I haven't rested yet this week and this about put me over the edge. I am resting tomorrow and Christmas Day but I am going to be back at it strong on Wednesday. Which brings me to my first topic
FAMILY FIRST: If you learn anything about me through this blog-the one thing I hope to make clear is how much my family means to me. We are big...bold..crazy...loud..obnoxious..and so on. But we also are besides all of those thing is the epitome' of what others desire to be. We are all different yet somehow this crazy family unit works. So you will get to hear about my family alot. I don't really know how consistent my posting will be this next week. My sis Robin will be here Wednesday and I am off work. I will have at least 1 before and after this week so be watching for it. It will blow your mind.
"THE HUNGER": Something I learned this week. I have been working hard on lifts and I swear I thought I had a tapeworm. So I ask my brother Matty what the HELL was going on...explained my issue...he looked me dead in my eye, shook his head yes because he knew exactly what I was talking about and said "yes, I know, I call it "The Hunger". If you are having this issue in the name of everything holy be smart about how you curb this..increase your lean meats and fats. I am still trying to figure out exactly what balance I need but I am not going to lie...I have lots of cooked Turkey and hard boiled eggs on hand as well as some awesome avocado's. Slides me right into my next subject.

BE READY FOR THE HOLIDAY TIME OFF!! What am I doing?? well I started with this...this is sitting on my counter-I would have to pass it to get to the fridge or the pantry. I love these things-sometimes sweet sometimes tart they seem to always do the trick-also-if you get holiday treats from the neighbors..throw them out. It's not rude or wrong-most of the neighbors will NEVER know and I kind of look at it like this-if my neighbors really knew me they would give me fruit or maybe some broccoli? right? seems harsh I know but NO BS.


Onto my week of cooking-I am keeping it simple this week I have one recipe of my own and 2 borrowed.
I am doing- Stuffed tomatoes, a large pan of jalapeno cauliflower mash and breakfast meatballs...yes..meatballs..isnt being a carnivore awesome?

Here is the link for the mash. I have never made the brisket but I love this mash. My tweaks, especially if you are making this for your family, seed one of the jalapenos. I love spice but I usually eat this for several days and that jalapeno starts to kick in about day 2 or 3. Also-I do not put this in my food processor I actually mash it with an old school potato masher and I add just a bit of the coconut milk to the mash.
http://inherentappetite.tumblr.com/post/9006337824/slow-cooked-brisket-w-jalapeno-mashed-cauli-if

My 2nd borrowed recipes is from PaleOMG. I warned you that I frequent this often but thanks to Amanda for bringing this one to my attention.
http://paleomg.com/breakfast-bacon-maple-meatballs/

And lastly-My own made up recipe-Stuffed tomatoes-you will need the following:

1 lb turkey burger
2 1/2 turkey hot Italian sausage
1/2 yellow onion chopped
2 t garlic-i used minced bottled from Costco
5 large tomatoes (I use hot house)
seasoning of your choice
2 T goat cheese (optional)

Heat oven to 350 degrees
This is all the meat I am using this week.
 
First get some olive oil heating-throw in that onion and garlic and get that sauteing while you prep the tomatoes-you can be as free as you would like with this recipe-it's so simple you can't really mess it up.
 
Cut the tops of the tomatoes, take a knife and cut around the inside-be careful not to cut through the bottoms. Then simply scoop out all that goodness.

 
They should look something like this. Rather than throw out the insides I actually dice some of it up and throw it in with the turkey. While you are cleaning your tomatoes up and once those onions are clear add the turkey and sausage and the seasonings of your choice (please notice my eggs boiling-multitasking).This is where occasionally I will indulge with a little goat cheese, I will add right before I stuff the tomatoes and let it melt so there are no large lumps. Once the meat is cooked get to stuffing.
 
 
 
That's it. Cook them roughly 20-25 minutes or to your liking I try to not let the tomatoes split too badly because I prefer them firm.
 
One other quick little tip of goodness my sister Amy turned me onto. You can get these sausages at Costco-I think 10.00 ish. They are delicious and quick. One quick warning they do have some maple sugar and pure cane syrup so if you are avoiding any sugars I do not recommend them.
 
 
 
There you have it folks. Happy cooking. Here's to as successful eating week, while still enjoying yourself, as you can possibly have. 
 
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment