Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sunday...Rest and food prep day..EAT REAL FOOD!!

I can't believe it's already been a whole week since my first post. Thanks for all the support. I know I have a few interested followers and that is GREAT.

I have to post that I made it through our annual Sweatfield girls candy making day without any casualties-I am currently doing a 21 day sugar detox..which I really thought I needed but I am finding out it's just making me cranky..having to do an extra WOD with how hard I am currently working is just not super appealing to me. I can say it sucks to make candy and not be able to at least test it to see how it turned out.

This week I couldn't decide what I wanted to cook I kept going back and forth between crockpot something (because its so easy) and meat something. Finally settled on meatloaf-my own recipe-pulled rotisserie chicken and simple breakfast of eggs with spinach and sausage.

A few questions to address then on to the business of recipes. And guys-I am not an expert on any of this stuff. If you really want to get down to specifics of the Paleo Diet I recommend you get a good book and read it-my book of choice was "The Pale Diet" by Loren Cordain, PhD.
Also, so so much info online.
Do I always use grass fed beef...etc etc etc? NO I don't. I try when I can but it's not always available at the places I shop and lets be honest-it is more expensive. I do try and buy meats that are nitrate free this includes my bacon. I can tell you where you can get some items but I am just being honest when I tell you I don't. I do what I can. That's all. My take on that.

Do I use any dairy? Not really. I choose not to..don't get me wrong I love cheese-I will at times use some feta or goat cheese VERY sparingly in a salad. Its very rare that I will just chow down on some cheese. The only dairy I might use more than once or twice a month is some cream in my coffee..every now and again I indulge in some half and half in my coffee. Don't judge me.

Do I always use Paleo recipes? Oh heavens no. In fact when I started this journey I chose not to do any recipes at first and I kind of just went super basic. I will add this pyramid so you all get it- this is quite simplistic! I didn't start with recipes until I felt I had a fair idea of what I was doing.


Now down to business-decided to change things up a little this week. No kalua anything. I will miss it but the break will be nice.
I am going to keep my sides super simple this week too. It seems when I go back to the very basics of how I started this I actually do quite well.
These are some items I picked up at Costco-I added blueberries which I might add are amazing right now-and melon in place of raspberries and blackberries-not sure how it's going to be. I picked up a rotisserie chicken and a large container of greens-feeling lots of salad! Grabbed some mushrooms too. Love them in salad.
So first thing- washed everything up and got it put away while letting the chicken cool. Tips on the chicken-Costco puts them out I believe starting at 10 and then I also believe at the top of every hour..Uhh...I have been known to "browse" the area waiting for them to put fresh ones out. Super simple-get rid of that skin and pull the meat just like you would a turkey-it's messy but just do it-I ended up with a good one today and managed to get just under a half of a gallon ziploc bag.
Let me just add this- this is what my son gets when he decides to take self portraits while I doing my food pictures.
 
Ha! Onto my meatloaf. Super simple recipe folks. I kind of took one I found and just tweaked it to my liking.
Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf.
1 lb ground turkey (yes..you can use chicken or beef or whatever you like)
1 lb turkey sausage(i like the hot Italian sausages for this recipe)
1/2 large yellow onion
garlic
1 egg
Almond Flour
bacon (approx 6-8 slices)
Seasonings of your choice.


Put all ingredients in a large bowl and mix all that goodness together-Add egg and flour to bind only-you don't really need much flour-for seasonings I use- greek seasoning-S & P and garlic to my taste-I use the prechopped garlic and I use about a teaspoon-this is all to your taste-I also use fresh parsley if I have it but today I used dried.
 
Then get that bacon lined up
Form your little meatloaf-and wrap the bacon over the top.I add a can of tomato sauce just because I think when we were kids my Mom used to put ketchup on our meatloaf and I love that taste-just make sure to read the label and get the no sugar added-I usually only use an 8 oz can.
I like to cook low and slow- so 350 for approx an hour or so-then I take the foil off and let it cook for additional 15-20 minutes untils it's nice and brown on top. Depending on your oven this could change just watch it. I usually turn the heat up just a touch when I am finishing it off.
Super easy and super delicious.


While I am cooking this at times I will wash up some sweet potatoes and wrap them up and throw them in the oven.
Tonight with this I just heated up a side of broccoli-it will be delicious.
For breakfast I am going to do my staple. I do 3 eggs - 1 whole 2 egg whites and about 2 cups of spinach adding in a couple of turkey sausage. I pack to to work in a ziploc and just cook it in a bowl when I get there. Its easy and delicious and super simple to pack.
I did absolutely nothing physical today. Sunday has become my new rest day and I so earned it today.
I feel rested and I will be ready to hit it hard again tomorrow.
 
Good luck to everyone -here's to a happy healthy eating week!!


2 comments:

  1. Since I am your neighbor... I should be invited over for a cooking class soon.. Just saying.. Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring your butt right on over. Sunday is funday-anytime!! I am just around the corner :)

    ReplyDelete