Sunday, December 30, 2012

Ropa Vieja means."Old Clothes"...ehhh I will try it anyway.

Kolby Jenna Myself LaTonya and Moises
What a GREAT weekend. Managed to get together with my kiddos to go out to dinner last night at Red Rock-love the hearts of palm and bay shrimp salad..it does come with baby red potatoes..I usually nibble on one or 2 then push the rest to the side -also come with caper berries!! LOVE THEM. It was a great night! Look at these awesome kids! Wowzer..good looking group!

Today instead of watching football...I decided to watch The Worlds Strongest Man comps on ESPN..too fun to watch these dudes..I am not going to lie...I was intrigued with form..so cool to watch. I loved this though. 2 huge dudes dead lifting with no shoes..I also do this. I just seem to be able to really get my heels into the floor.



Here are the items I grabbed at Costco today. See anything odd?? Dayquil and NyQuil. Didn't actually get them at Costco. What I thought was a WOD cough and soreness from several really hard WODS turned out to be a little flu or a cold. I hate taking OTC meds but I was so miserable I needed relief. I have not been sick in forever so I am super frustrated today. I still managed to cook but it took me all day. Super simple items. Blueberries are still amazing, I added apples this week- I sometimes like them with a little almond butter before a WOD-also grabbed some avocados to go with breakfast.


So Mary and I chatted briefly about food on Saturday at coffee. There was so much going on in that space so Mary I remember hearing you talking about how there are no Cuban restaurants etc etc out here and so on and so forth (Mary is from Chi Town..and she is a die hard Bears fan..we won't hold that against her)
So I searched for Paleo recipes for Cuban food. Not really knowing how or where to start or what kind of food might appeal to her this caught my attention quickly. It's from PaleOMG which I consider to be an extremely reliable source.
I had to google what in the hell what in the hell Ropa Vieja meant..could have gone without knowing that. Quickly I assumed that this was going to smell terrible but not the case. Anything crock pot to me is easy-so here is the link.
http://paleomg.com/crockpot-ropa-vieja-cuban-style-rice/ The only modification I don't know that I loved was that she subbed capers for olives. I love olives BUT I always make the recipe exactly as it is the first time then I modify after.  The capers are fine. Lots of seasoning on this one. A few pics of how I put this together-
I cook all my crock pot meals in the garage- ALSO I cooked this for about 9 hours on high. I think traditionally flank steak is used and it just seemed the chuck roast was not getting tender enough for my good taste.
Tip on the "rice" I had to hand grate this with my cheese grater because I could not find one of my attachments for my food processor. Anyway let it sit on a plate with paper towel. A little trick I learned from my sis Kat. This absorbs the moisture that cauliflower has. This is REALLY delicious!
 



 
I also made this soup today-felt like I needed soup for my flu or whatever has invaded my wellness and also my own made up recipe for breakfast casserole.
This soup was SIMPLE!!! and good! It needs spice so I will add hot sauce. The casserole is one I think I stole from Liz and then claimed it as my own.
 
"Breakfast Spinach Pie
8-9 whole eggs
12 egg whites
Spinach -no exact measurement on this sorry
Here is where it gets creative-I will tell you what I used but you could use any veggies and any meat

1 dozen turkey links-I am using the chicken sauage AmyLu Links
5 large mushrooms diced
3-4 large jaelpenos diced (for those who do not love spicy you can leave these out)
diced green onion thinly sliced including the green-give great flavor
sea salt and fresh ground pepper to tasteu h

beat eggs together-I add a little bit of water for fluff-add all other ingredients minus the spinach
Layer the bottom of a cake pan with spinach-be generous the spinach will shirnk as it cooks-pour egg mixture on top. Slic link in half and layer on the top-or you can dice them up and just throw them in.
Bake @ 375 for approx 45-50 minutes or until middle is cooked.


Happy New year. I am not a resolutions person but I would encourage you to think of 2-3 things you want to do, accomplish, change etc during 2013-and maybe write them down and post them somewhere you can see them daily. For me? I am constantly changing and evolving and I am looking forward to 2013 and whatever big things it will hold for me because honestly?? I won't settle for nothing less than big things!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment